Friday, April 15, 2011

Day 197: Lost and found

I seem to be in a period of loosing things: my cycling shoes, one of each of my favorite three pairs of earrings, a bracelet, my workout pants, my driver's license, a credit card, and today... I lost my lunch. No, really, Lost it--as in left it on top of the car before I left home and drove away with it still on the roof.

My shoes, I have replaced--sort of. The night after my great disappointment at REI and their lack of shoes to fit my crazy feet, I couldn't sleep. Friends, my warning to you: If you cannot sleep, stay off Ebay. Two AM is not a good time to shop. Josh and Roger at Irvine Bicycles had been talking Bont: a brand of shoes that can be warmed and heat set to the shape of your feet. At 2am, I found a pair of Bont shoes at a far reduced price, and put in a bid. I won that bid and have since got them in the mail. I am hesitant about them because they are really amazing shoes--carbon fiber soles, light moldable material on top, white with pretty blue racing stripes. They fit OK, but...

OK, here is the deal; My bike is a Frankenbike touring bike. Strange wonderful components that come together and create a wonderful, stable, solid ride. There is little speed and not much grace. These beautiful, swift-looking shoes are like Cinderella's glass slippers pushing the gas pedal in a battle worn tank. Somehow, I feel that I shouldn't care about that, but I do. Even when I try to convince myself that these are just one more wonderful element, I just can't convince myself to rig these new shoes with cleats. Perhaps the next time I can't sleep, I'll end up with a new bike...

All week I had been prepping my staff to work 5 hours on Saturday. But all week long, I have been in there with them sewing away. Today, around 2:30, I realized that if we kept our Saturday work date, we would have nothing to do on Monday. Hurray! No Saturday work call!

I rode to JE's work today, full speed ahead and flying. When I got to the car, my lunch (left over salmon in a Pyrex dish) was still on top of the car, with skid marks across the roof where it had shifted around a corner. It traveled about 15 miles on the roof going an average of 45 mph and through many stop lights.

Though we were scheduled to swim tonight, neither of us is up to it. I'm still limping around on my ankle with nasty tendinitis--it was killing today and is very swollen and red.

I hear that JE has started a movie, and is waiting for me. Time to go enjoy a sweet night off with my sweet man. Time to go put my feet up.

No comments:

Post a Comment