Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day 107: Bicycle Clinic and Thoughts on Happiness

My favorite Saturday activities growing up were swimming and roller skating. Often, my sisters and I would get dropped off at Skate King in Bellevue Washington for public skate. This was the era of Xanadu and roller disco. There was this woman, probably 18, who was so mature and graceful on skates. She would dance in the middle of the rink, spinning and twirling with her arms outstretched. My only desire in the whole world, was to be like her. I was eight, and with feet in women's sizes already, the fulcrum in rental skates was never balanced to allow any kind of fluidity in motion.

Years later, I picked up a pair of inline skates and skated the trails all over Provo. Routinely, I would glide the 6 miles into work. I loved my rides. More recently, I've been talking with a friend about joining the local derby team. However, I like my body and don't think that would be a really friendly place for it. Without skate, I am 6'3" tall. With skates, I'm closer to 7 feet. Dang!


We started the morning early, with our class in Long Beach at El Dorado park. Bicycle clinic...

Our instructor told us about riding in a crowd and warning people about passing them. He also taught us to turn left and right using our signals. Hmmm... Pretty elementary and far more basic than I was hoping. I really wanted some more advanced instruction. It wasn't to be. He had us cycle around the park, a 1.8 mile loop giving instructions to one woman on a Specialized, whom he figured was perhaps more advanced than the rest of us. I listened intently as he told her about marking a sprint distance, standing in the saddle and pushing on a lower gear to gain distance. So many people underestimate my bike.

We were all given different start times. JE was first, 3 others and then came my turn. My goal was to maintain about 17 MPH the entire way for 40 minutes. I caught JE before he was half way around the loop. We played competitive and bantered about kicking butts and eating dust. At one point, while I thought he was enjoying a feast of my dust, he whizzed by me, screeching like an old woman, "on our left!!!" Scared the crap out of me.

I completed 5-6 laps in that 40 minutes. When we arrived back at the parking lot, it was filled with speed skaters on speed inline skates. I was able to get some info about some of the local groups and also shopping for skates (I have a skate fund set aside...)

It was such a beautiful day, in the low 80s. So after our clinic we headed to Huntington Beach board walk for a real ride, the joyous kind that knows no speed goals or training expectation. This is why I ride. I love that! The sun, the surf, the dolphins, the distance, seeing the delight and wonder on the faces of people around me. It makes me feel like myself again, gets me in touch with my thoughts that are so easily distracted in day to day living.

Life is so full and rich, even in our lowest state, if we just open our eyes to it. Today I had this thought about a fairly substantial wish of mine that has been so far unfulfilled. If I switch my focus, and see that thing as a gift, change perspective and look for the positive, my life happier. It's hard sometimes, but the reality is, I only have one life. Any time I spent unhappy is wasted. This life is about Joy! Be happy, be grateful, be buoyant and light.

1 comment:

  1. I could not agree more! Unhappy moments are wasted moments.

    Also, I wish we lived near one another so we could rollerblad together!! I used to rollerblade up to Vivian park almost daily. It's been far too long since I have done so!! I miss it dearly.

    ReplyDelete