Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day 105: Change

Waking up this morning seemed daunting. Last night, I woke up dreaming I had food stuck in my teeth, it was my night-guard. Grinding; restless night. I hate that. It puts off the whole day.

I want change in my life, but right now, I'm tired and hurting and the old ways are just so easy to slip into. Over the Christmas break, I watched a load of movies and a TV show on Netflix. My training and writing became secondary. TV is a great pacifier. But I don't want to be pacified. I want to feel the passion of this change in my life.

Swimming is amazing. I love how strong and slim I feel when I swim regularly. The things that prevent me from swimming more often are:
1) the cold
2) Time
3)needing to wait after a meal to swim
4) the cleanup
5) Priorities

How can I overcome these?
1) Suck it up or find an indoor pool (though that would take more time, so just suck it up!)
2) Get it done! Those 650 yards need to be done and don't care how long I take to do them!
3) Eat small, have an energy drink poolside and eat afterward
4) Remember how awesome it feels to climb into bed clean and exhausted
5) This is a toughy. I love my friends and want to hang out with them, go do fun things, watch a movie, read a book. The reality is that I have a bit over a month and a half and I will be doing this for real! Perhaps I should plan a party that I could just say, I can't tonight, I have training. But, I am having a party in February, I hope you will come! Potentially I could say the same thing to my book or movie. Just tired tonight.

Cycling:
I can't even believe how long it has been since I have gone on a ride over 30 miles. I can't believe how long it has been since I've gone more that 10!
1: Time, I work
2: the dark
3: getting out the door in time to commute
4: clean up
5: Wanting to be with my JE on the weekends while he has no bike.

How can I overcome these?
1: Plan better. Prepare lunch and fill panniers at night
2: Not really an excuse! Riding in the dark is kind of fun. And, the days are already getting noticeably longer!
3: See #1
4: remember the 5 minute shower of cycle touring. Get it done and get to work! (warm up with a cup of tea, while working)
5: Won't be an excuse for much longer. JE is getting a bike. The world is our oyster and it will be slurped!

Running. I love my early morning runs. I love seeing the sky get lighter as I circle the block.
1: It's cold
2: Tired
3: Achilles tendon and clicky tight hurty hip
4: not finishing the run

How to overcome?
1: If I'm cold, I'm not working hard enough. Wear a hat and vest
2: I don't seem to know how to do all that I need to do in a day. Make a daily plan/time table and stick with it as best as I can.
3: Warm up before exercise and stretch after. Ice, heating pad, elevate, high heels (I know, I'm tall enough, but it actually really helps with tendinitis). Make an appointment with the doc (went today, but ironically, my doc went home sick!)
4: Keep running! I've finished before! Keep on keeping on! Vary my route, play games and smile!) Don't be afraid to walk if my hip/ankle is acting up.

I love food. Cooking whole food and making healthy meals is a joy for me. But I have some really big downfalls and habits.
1) over eating
2) grabbing whatever is on hand and ruin meals
3) sweets
4) eating out and menu choice
5) fried salty things

Overcoming it is tough and requires diligent work
1) Enter everything I eat into mynetdiary app. It worked before and makes me recognize my calorie intake and output
2) Often, I grab food quickly because I'm hungry. Don't get hungry. Eat regular, small portions. I know it works, it was the absolute most efficient way to eat on my cycle tour. Have almonds on hand for a quick fix
3) all of my teeth are sweet teeth, occasionally worse than at other times. Exchange sweets for fruit and nut butters and a piece of dark chocolate. Milk is also a great fix. Recently discovered greek yogurt with frozen mixed berries and a touch of honey... yum!
4) having a goal to not eat out as much helps, but when there isn't time in the day to cook and clean up and do everything else I do, restaurants are a huge help. Choose menu items with the most color, least fried, and least fatty condiments (aioli, dressings, spread). Choose lean meats.
5) Not terribly difficult to limit myself here these days. But sometimes, watch out! Any suggestions on fighting this one?

Remember the goal I have made for myself. That is all there is, that is everything. Finish, not last, within the completion time. Remember the finish-line. Concentrate improving the motion. Life changes are made by attending to the small things.

No comments:

Post a Comment