Friday, January 14, 2011

Day 106: Swimming

Early this morning, JE roused me from my semi-sleep and got me up and running. He made oatmeal and roasted my hazelnuts. Making sure I had all my gear, dropped me off at the bottom of a big hill. I rode up that hill, as the sun was sending brilliant pink waves across the heavens behind me. The tops of the hills glistened bright green as the sun touched them, forcing the shadows to descend, as I ascended. It was a brilliant morning for a ride.

Mel, a friend from work who sponsored me in, met me at the pool and showed me around. There was steam rising from the surface and I couldn't wait to get in to warm up. I showed her some of the drills we learned in last weeks swim clinic, and I started swimming my laps. My aim was to improve and get the rhythm of my breath synchronized with my stroke. I could have swam forever, and promised myself that someday really soon, I will swim a mile.

There were three people in the pool, so I asked the lifeguard how my rhythm was. He taught me to enter the water with my fingers not so far from my head. Apparently I reach out too far and pull in. I tried using his technique for a few laps, reaching my elbow slightly higher and allow my arm to stretch out under the water and then pull back. Magic. I flew! I was so entranced by the grace of that movement, I almost forgot to breath.

One of the perks of my work is free concert/play/opera/dance tickets. Tonight we watched Tango Buenos Aires. To move like that! It was a beautiful show and has inspired us to flavor our weekend with all things Argentine! MOLAA, Food, movies, vaceros clothing (just kidding about the clothes) .... It's early for soccer and rodeo, but perhaps we can get creative. Who is in?

2 comments:

  1. We found a new restaurant in Laguna Hills near Joann's, called Villa Roma. It was so amazing! The ambiance was perfect with clam shell booths and candles. I half expected a big band around the dance floor. And then the keyboard player and tango guitarist showed up. People danced, we had a smoking BBQ on our table, and the food was amazing! No gaucho pants required!

    ReplyDelete