Monday, November 29, 2010

Day 60: Extra Long Day

We awoke at 4:25 Mountain Time (3:25 Pacific time)and drove to the Salt Lake airport through a thick layer of sludgy snow on the road with snow continuing to fall. We made it through security and onto the plane as they were announcing the final boarding call. I slept a little bit. When I awoke, we were flying over my bike route. All the way up Newport to Long Beach. It gives that route an entirely new perspective to cover ground that usually take me a couple hours in just a few minutes.

We had a little turbulence during our descent. After we landed and were waiting to disembark, a boy, around 7 years old, stood in the aisle next to me waiting to exit and obviously in a lot of distress. His parents were a couple rows behind us on the other side of the plane, asking him if he was going to throw up. I grabbed the airsick bag in the seat back in front of me, opened it and handed it to him. His parents thanked me. I asked the kid about his trip, he told me this was his 7th flight and that he had never gotten sick before. I tickled the back of his neck and told him he was doing a great job. His dad stood up with his arm stretched outward, pointing at me. Oh dear, I shouldn't have touched his kid, I thought. Then the dad said, "I know you! You helped my wife with her wedding dress!"

16 years ago, I worked for a bridal dress company in Provo, Utah. That cute couple came in looking for a wedding dress. She tried on several dresses and bought one that looked so beautiful on her. It was sweet and simple and beautiful. She came back in later to pick up her dress and bawled her eyes out when she tried it on again, that she had made a huge mistake, that it was out dated and awful. What could I say? The shop had a no return, no exchange policy and I had zero leverage. All I could say was what was in my heart, that she looked amazing, that the dress was an accent to her and not vice versa as most bridal gowns are. Of all the people I assisted choosing a gown during the 3 months I worked there, they are the only two I remember.

It's a really fun experience to travel from cold, snowy, conservative, mainly white Utah to warm, sunny, multicultural southern California. We stopped in Little Saigon for breakfast and picked up lunch as well. Chinese doughnuts: a ball of glutinous rice filled with sweet yellow bean paste and coated with sesame seeds and then fried to a crisp. We also shared a pate-something, which tasted more like an Australian sausage roll than an Australian sausage roll! It was a puff pastry shell with a bit of some sort of sausage in it. All I can say is, Yum! But I'm really glad we shared it, as I am feeling my Thanksgiving belly sneaking up. For lunch: over the counter Bun, which is a Vietnamese dish of thin rice vermicelli noodles served cold with grilled meats and vegetables and a sauce.

Tonight, after work, we came home an made one batch of my traditional fruit cake/ Christmas cake. Saturday I am selling my wares at a private craft show in Fullerton. Locals, please email me if you are interested. There will be 16 vendors, so now is the time to get your shopping done!

We swam tonight--without goggles because they were still packed in my luggage. It wasn't a long swim, but at least it was a something! So cold tonight--Utah-daytime-cold kind of cold!

I have been awake for way too long to do the math. Any guesses? Good night, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment