Saturday, November 6, 2010

Day 37: Illness

In October 1347,the Army of the Khanate of the Golden Horde put an end to a year long siege of Kaffa by catapulting plague ridden corpses over the wall of the city. The disease spread like wild fire and the bodies of the dead were stacked against the city walls like firewood. Even those who tried to escape by boat to Cicily, were dead before they got there. The disease had started in China the previous year and spread across Asia via the Silk Highway. It hung around, crashing over Europe in waves and killing one quarter to two thirds the population of Europe by 1351. Plague continued its course through Europe for the next 300 years until it died out (pun intended).

It seems that a lot of people this week have been sick, and while it isn't the plague, it is every bit as contagious. I asked a friend who is an ER doc if he ever gets sick. He said, "rarely. I wash my hands a lot and don't touch my mouth or nose while I am at work. And I don't eat communal food. So if there is a bowl of potato chips someone brought in to share, I don't eat it."

Feeling really tired today. I did swim a good swim--about 18 laps in our 25 yard pool, but slept a lot of the day. Tonight was dinner at a friends house. There were 7 couples. What a great night. But once I got home, I suddenly feel a bit ill. Hope I didn't throw my plague ridden body over the city wall...

No comments:

Post a Comment