Thursday, November 18, 2010

Day 48: Guavas and a man hunt

At work yesterday, a friend handed me a paper bag filled with guavas from her backyard tree. Large and ripe, these guavas gave off a fantastic smell, somewhere between cat pee and a bad case of body odor. I had them sitting on my table all day with the bag folded down, I had almost forgotten they were there. Toward the end of the day anyone who came near my table remarked on a terrible smell coming from the trash can. Someone offered to take the trash out. Others wondered if the sink was clogged. I was busily putting final touches on a job that needed to be done before I left and wasn't really paying attention until one of the faculty started to get really serious about the smell. I joked that it was me, and people got a little uncomfortable. That was when I remembered the guavas...

I forgot them again last night. They sat in the car after I got home and not remembered until this morning at 4 am when I woke up to go watch the Leonids and feed the cat. She was out of food, so I went down to the garage where we keep a couple emergency cans. At the bottom of the stairs the smell of something rotten greeted me and I wondered what on earth could have crawled to our doorstep and died. Then I remembered the guavas...

This morning, when I told JE about the guavas, he said he wondered if the water was rotting in the washer he had just moved downstairs. Guavas are really smelly, but tasty--like fine cheese...

This morning we ran, fueled by guavas, out in the wilderness area behind our condo. Technically this area is posted No Trespassing, however, the barbed wire fence which separates us from some amazing dirt tracks is low enough to straddle. Particularly when the people straddling it have really really long legs. A couple years ago, JE was walking in this area on his way home from work. A bunch of city employees spotted him and started to chase him. He out-smarted them and diverged onto a fenced in fire road--he climbed the fence. (He's quick. I watched him trip on a speed bump once, he magically pulled a stuntman maneuver, rolled and was on his feet again in no time flat.)

This morning as we ran, we saw several city trucks on the trail ahead of us. Rather than backtrack, we decided to press our luck and run right by the trucks. The city employees were gathered around a big hole they were working in just off the trail. We shouted a hearty Good Morning! as we ran by and in return were greeted with a slightly less enthusiastic 'Morning.' The important thing is that they didn't chase us!

We spent the day in LA at the LA auto show with BC. Really fun day! We had a few star sightings that we soon realized were actually part of the Lotus unveiling. The KIA Pop and the Infinity Essence were my favorite concept cars. Awesome! Afterward we ate at Coles--the original french dip sandwich place and then walked around the farmer's market. Awesome day, thanks JE and BC!

No comments:

Post a Comment