Saturday, November 6, 2010

Day 36: fear

On the last leg of cycling through Oregon, I found myself in a small town--Port Orford. I was on my own at that point and my guide book warned of narrow shoulders, winding roads, speeding log trucks and motor homes, and a nasty thousand foot climb. It also warned of no services, not even water, for the next few dozen miles. I was paralyzed by fear and choking on it. I delayed that 30 mile stretch as long as I could, but daylight only stays so long and darkness would simply have compounded my fears. As I left the library where I had been blogging, I met another cycle tourist in the parking lot who looked at me and asked if I was OK. My emotions came out in a flurry. He offered to ride with he and his friend for a while.

I was a much slower rider than they were but they would stop and wait for me on the hills both going up and coming down. With their company to waylay my fears I was able to not just get through those miles, but truly enjoy the beauty of my surroundings.

Now, I think about the fear that bound me at that time. So many other times I've not stopped for food or water on my long rides. I'd been riding long windy narrow roads with the log trucks and the motor homes. There was nothing to fear except the unknown. That fear was so real at the time, but if I had been able to just keep going and allow things to be OK, I would have had so much more peace. This lesson applies in all aspects of my life. But how grateful am I for those two gents who helped me out.

When I told my sister, Tia about the triathlon I entered, she asked when, where, how much distance. The next time we talked, she told me she was interested in training and was working out the details to come down. I was elated to have the company. It took a lot of the fear away and helped me focus my training.

Two days ago, Tia told me that she fractured her foot and isn't sure if she will be up to speed in her training for the event in 111 days. Boo to broken bones! Poor Tia!

We joined BC for a meal tonight at the Warehouse restaurant in Marina Del Rey. I had the managers special-a lobster and bacon wrapped fillet mignon. Probably one of the best steaks I have ever eaten. Great atmosphere right on the marina.

No comments:

Post a Comment