Monday, November 22, 2010

Day 53: Californian, Dang!

We moved to Detroit in the winter of 2003 with high hopes and great expectations. In our car was packed everything we would need until our moving truck arrived. While Utah was cold, it could not touch that wet cold that was Detroit winter. We pulled up to our hotel and I jumped out. There was frozen sludge everywhere with water running under it, so the street was oozing with cold. As I stood looking at the gray snow in the gutter, I wondered what on earth we had done by moving there.

The following winter found us living in Southern California, swimming through October and even November in the Great Pacific, flaunting our newness in T-shirts and sandals. We laughed ourselves silly and thought so critically of the Californians walking on the beach in their giant down parkas and Uggs in 60 degree weather. This is CALIFORNIA! THIS IS AMAZING!

This October, we celebrated our 7th year here. It has been an unseasonably cool year and the past few days has only reached the mid 60s. I was shaking in my boots (not quite, but almost, Uggs) and covered with goosebumps wishing for a down parka.

Wednesday we fly to Utah, where we will be greeted with a forecast temperature of 15 degrees. I hope I remember how to layer up...

This morning's run was really cold. Ears and muscles. But we did run! Hard work on mornings were I can see my breath. I've become a Californian. Dang it!

No comments:

Post a Comment