Friday, November 12, 2010

Day 43: TALL

Lately I work with a 4'11" Vietnamese lady who prides herself on her tiny wrists. "I'd like to be tall. You know, five-two or five-three." She is the same lady who told Erik she is so small because she drinks mouse milk and then asked Erik, "What type of milk do you drink, Erik? Cow milk?"

We had been discussing my height and I was ranting about people having no scruples or manners when it comes to pointing out my height. A couple weeks ago, I was waiting outside a Trader Joe when a man approached me and told me all about how a shorter woman walked in front of me as he was driving up. He went on and on about how he thought I was on stilts or a pedestal advertising something. Really? What could I say? "nope, I really am this tall!" I used that line within the same week at a friend's party. A woman walked in and saw me and began with the "are you really that tall???!!!" and continued on. "Are you really that short?" Yup, she was.

It bugs me when women ask for a bit of my height. Seriously, what would they do with it? Pan fry it? Braise it in milk and serve it to their family? Make a smoothie and top it with frozen berries? Nope, I get to keep it all.

Being tall is amazing. Imagine being in an SUV amid smart cars and minis, being able to regularly use the cabinet above the fridge, not owning a step ladder, having a greater stride when swimming or running. I'm learning how to use that.

Today I rode the coast into a headwind and with a tailwind. It was a brilliant day for cycling. There were so many dolphins along the coast today!

No comments:

Post a Comment