Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day 41: Judy

The other night, I was off early and began walking toward JE's work. It was after the time change, so it was fairly dark. I turned down a different road than my usual straight shot. As I approached a traffic signal, I saw a figure coming out of the park. While waiting for the signal to change, the woman engaged me in conversation. As she talked, I recognized her and told her so. She immediately recognized me as the girl with the bike, and asked me if I had done my trip.

Days before I left on my cycle tour, I was riding through Crystal Cove State Park. My toe clips were new to me and as I rounded a corner I saw a couple of women walking towards me. I hit gravel and came to a screeching halt on one knee, bloodying it. The two women came to my aid, helping to lift me (or at least my spirits) out of the dirt. They made sure I was OK and able to find a guard for some clean up and gauze. We talked for a while, about the day, my upcoming trip, the art unveiling that was happening in the park soon, and about "women warriors." They were kind and enthusiastic.

Apparently, Judy's late husband helped to establish a library for the theater department at UCI, and a very busy and talented designer and tailor. What a happy coincidence. And here she is: http://www.yosemiteconservancy.org/joseph-le-conte-legacy-society

Currently awaiting a pumpkin pie to come out of the oven so we can go swim--can't wait for Thanksgiving. I canned the pumpkin last year from a huge Cinderella pumpkin I bought. SO much better than most canned pumpkin, and such a simple process. Chop a good eating pumpkin into large chunks and steam until tender. Scoop the meat from the shell and allow to drain if really watery. Use in place of canned pumpkin.

2 comments:

  1. That wasn't my Paul's pumpkin, was it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I roasted those and ate them--they were really tasty and couldn't be guinea-pigged. This one was one I picked up on Halloween on a sales rack.

    ReplyDelete