Friday, November 26, 2010

Day 57: foodie Thanksgiving

We just got home from the Dastrup's traditional quotient of their
untraditional Thanksgiving weekend. Each year the Dastrups get
together with friends Andrew and Simi, who own and operate Rooster on
University in Provo. They make food all weekend long, their families
having a giant sleepover. Both families have a passion for good food,
both eating it and making it. There is no formal sit down to dinner,
things are set out for everyone as soon as they are ready.

Day one-Thursday- consisted of pork belly on steamed buns with
quickles--quickly pickled cucumber, braised ribs, fennel/apple/blue
cheese/pecan salad, baked French toast, quail eggs, etc...

Tonight we had a garlicky turkey, mashed potatoes with ample butter
and cream, asperagas with yummy sauce/mushrooms/pecans/and cheese, the
best mushroom rissoto I have ever eaten, the same apple fennel salad,
banana cream pie, pumpkin cheese cake, an amazing appetizer made from
mint and parsley pesto with chevre and raspberry jam, super yummy
stuffing made with mushrooms and Jimmy dean sausage. I know I'm
forgetting things, but it's late!

We swam about half a mile today in a local pool. At home we filter our
water to make it taste a little better. Utah water is fresh and clean
straight from the tap. If I swallow water in Cali, I gag, sometimes to
the point I almost throw up. The water in the pool here didn't have
that affect on me at all--not that I would want to drink it straight
from the pool... Ewww.

From Iris's iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment