Thursday, November 11, 2010

Day 42: Brew

As a missionary in Australia in 1993, I attended a church Christmas party one evening. Someone had brought home brewed ginger beer, explaining that they had used the non alcoholic recipe. It sure didn't taste non alcoholic! The bunch of good church folk got a bit louder as the night progressed. I barely touched the stuff. I drove home with my companion and two of the male missionaries. On the way home we met with a mandatory breath check from the Melbourne police. I was laughing too hard to blow into the breathalyzer. When the cops heard my American accent they became really friendly and they asked where I was from and what I was doing in Oz. I told them that I was a missionary, and that that was why it was so funny that I was doing a breath test. I passed the test and drove home, but I never lived down that story while I lived in Australia.

JE is in the kitchen brewing kombucha. He has a fabulously disgusting SCOBY. The kombucha itself is fairly good, very vinegary, but tasty. I think I may try my hand at a non alcoholic ginger brew this season.

We have started to swim at night. It gives us a better opportunity to dry out before bed, and doesn't rush us to be finished to get to work in such a hurry. It's also really relaxing to play in the pool and sit in the hot tub for a few minutes before heading home, making for a bit of excellent relax time.

No comments:

Post a Comment