Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Day 32: puzzles

My job requires a whole lot of figuring things out. Currently I am making a coat for the Big Bad Wolf. The actor portraying the wolf is fairly average in size and shape; however, the costume is padded out with a huge hunch over the shoulders and huge haunches. Getting the jacket to balance on his body so that it fits properly is an act of physics. I love a challenge like this.

It all starts with a concept and design. I am working with MB. She is a Designer with a vision. She works with the director and other artists on the concept and design for the show. She takes that vision and puts it into drawings or painting. I take those illustrations and with a lot of questions and math, turn those drawings into patterns. I then create muslin mock up and fit it on the actor. With the information I gain in the first fitting, I correct my patterns and then cut in the actual fabric. When the garment takes shape, I fit it again on the actor and again make corrections. I might do this several more times before the costume is complete and ready for dress rehearsal.

While preparing for my triathlon, I take this concept and alter my body to fit the course. An interesting puzzle, I am still working out the kinks. I feel I am missing several elements to resolve it. It will come with time, but it's frustrating to know I am lacking. I need a swim coach.

I swam today, I am getting stronger. I love being in the pool as the sun comes up

No comments:

Post a Comment