Saturday, September 24, 2011

Longest day

It seems impossible that I've only been here a couple days. Time is a strange thing.

I ran this morning, half heartedly, and mostly just to get to a place to be able to make a few phone calls. It was beautiful and hot by the time I got back.

Most of my day, I spent with my sisters, visiting a funeral home and cemetery. Mom's friend has given my parents a plot. Mom will be buried there, in a pine box under a shade tree overlooking the peaceful valley. She would be very happy. There is a local coffin maker who makes beautiful pine coffins.

Russ, at Telford mortuary, was really a helpful and even conceded to laugh at my family's often inappropriate humor. Lisa asked if mom wakes up, can we get a refund? Is there a reshelving fee?

I've been very busy. Aside from fundal arrangements, We are trying to convince dad that he needs to come stay with us in California "for a little while." He needs a psycho analysis, and to establish a routine for himself. He needs care, a home and some proper nutrition and a hand to get exercising. His weight will come off if he comes swimming with me often, and controls his food addiction and diabetes.

We rented a house for Sunday, through Tuesday nights. It will be really good go have a place where we can hang together as a family, and also a place to receive visitors. The problem with hoarding is how badly it alienates family and others from lives.

There is just so much to think about and do. My sisters are trying to convince me to not go dress my mother tomorrow morning. It was difficult in life to touch her because of her lack of self care. Tomorrow will be difficult with a possibility of amazing. I hope my conviction that we should tend our own dead, holds true in the face of it.

Despite the Difficult and Distressing circumstances that surround death, today was a sweet day. Mom's spirit was with us often, and there were times of sadness, but most of the day was spent rejoicing in just being able to be together as a family.

1 comment:

  1. Iris: my heart is so sad for your loss. But I know that this transition will relieve some of the constant worry that has occupied a corner of your heart for so long. I'm so glad you have family, friends and JE to give you hugs and support. Take care of yourself, my friend-- Cindy (I can't seem to post except anonymously)

    ReplyDelete