Thursday, October 27, 2011

Carbs

My kitchen has become a laboratory for bread baking.Today I baked a beautiful fluffy cracked wheat sandwich loaf. A while ago, I received Rose Levy Beranbaum's "the Bread Bible," as a gift. I confess that it sat unused since that time. But it's now on my nightstand, open to a page about biscuits. As with Joy of Cooking, there is a lot of useful information. This book, however, is far more scientific in it's approach. Rose is the sort of baker who does not sacrifice taste for health benefits, so wading though the vast amounts of information to find the details I need, is a worthwhile but lengthy process. Using what knowledge I have of baking, I know that I can substitute up to half the white flour with whole-wheat. But until today, I'd not been able to get a fluffy, moist, satisfying wholewheat bread. Thanks to rose and her OCD, I've learned a few tricks in regards to bread making. Namely: sponge starters, autolyse, three risings and vital wheat gluten (1 tsp per cup of wholewheat flour--my recipe).

Since dad arrived, and my no-sugar pledge was installed, I've been plotting a way to make really tasty treats, using natural sugars-as unrefined as I can get them (think dates pulverized with the pumpkin as a sweetener in quick breads).

Several years ago, I went with no sugar for about ten months, only using honey, maple syrup, and date sugar very sparingly. At the time, I did a lot of experimenting, and now I lament that I did not keep a record. Admittedly some of my recipes were pretty desperate, utilizing what was on hand to concoct some pretty atrocious sweets. But there were a few things that remain true, and generally those are the least tampered with:

Frozen banana, drizzled with a tiny bit of dark dark chocolate and pressed with toasted pecans.

Fruit, particularly grapefruit.

Dates, medjool. One or two at a time

Milk, 2%

Dark dark chocolate

Things I'd like to experiment and find a more suitable low glycemic index alternative: pumpkin pie, banana bread, pumpkin bread, carrot cake (for dad's upcoming birthday), frozen yogurt. What seems odd, is that, while I'd like to do some experimenting with this and perfect some recipes, I have not really missed sweets. Well, once I got over those nasty little cravings...

With my increase in distance, I've been craving carbs. But with dad around, who struggles with portions, it would be a cruel punishment to know that somewhere in the house, someone is eating his favorite meal--noodles. So, the past couple days, I wait for him to leave and then pour myself a bowl of cereal. I'll say this, I got my will power from somewhere, and I'm coming to understand that it is from him. He has set his mind to loose weight by eating right and exercising, and he is doing it. I had a celebration today when dad told me that his blood sugars were at 90, right in midrange for him. This is the second straight day of in range blood sugars. When dad reaches for a snack, he now reaches for nuts, turkey and cheese with rye crackers, or celery with a french onion yogurt dip I made for him. He has learned to avoid the high carb/sugar snacks he used to rely on.

JE has been working so much lately, I asked if we could run together on his dinner break. For four straight miles, we chatted and talked. It was so nice to be with him as the sun was setting.

He laughed pretty hard when I told him about what I want to do for our Halloween handouts. I'd like to take a photo of my dad's foot, he is missing his big toe and his nails are black. On the photo, I want to put the words: this is what happens if you eat too much candy! Ok, I know I'm starting to sound as crazy about this subject as Rose Levy sounds about her baking, and she sounds like a real nut job! So...

Swam today, also. I think my flip turns are doing me in. I'm often very dizzy and have a hard time completing my mile. Today was just 1,300 yards.

No comments:

Post a Comment