Saturday, January 21, 2012

Half

We ran our first half marathon today, no competition. Just us. The Huntington Beach boardwalk was brilliant in the morning's post rain haze, but the wind was gusting in our faces for the first six and a half miles. It felt like we were running uphill.

Before the first quarter, it felt like we had already been running forever. But JE, in wisdom, broke the whole thing down into bits, dividing the whole thing up into familiar distances on our usual trail: to the pink spot, to the footbridge, to the irises. In that manner, we proceded to accomplish the thing, mile by mile. The fact that there were a billion and two distractions around helped bunches, as well.

It seems that around nine and a half miles, I start to get fatigued. Today was no exception. Those last four miles were dearly bought. With .04 mile left, we stopped for water. It was all I could do to keep from crying from pain, and the realization that I may not be able to actually run a full marathon crept into my brain. I'm ok, now. But every muscle in across my hips was screaming at me to stop. I finished my run, and forced myself to keep walking, even though the car and warmth were waiting a few feet away. Eventually, I stretched out a lot of that pain, and took a giant ibuprofen with a quart of chocolate milk.

Dinner tonight needed to be simple. JE wanted to make cassoulet, but changed his mind after our run. We made French omelets with Brie, and a yummy avocado and grapefruit salad we have been eating a lot this winter. This new year, I am determined to find extraordinary things to do with ordinary vegetables and fruit. I get so tired of lettuce, and while spinach is a great substitute, I get tired of that, also. There are many other amazing things to eat raw, or almost raw, and it is my goal to find those things out.

Avocado Salad:
Two ripe but firm avocados, sliced
2 ruby red grapefruit, sectioned
Arrange on a plate (over green leaf lettuce if you'd like)
Season with balsamic vinegar, a good grassy olive oil, salt and pepper.

Dad brought home a bottle of kalamata olive oil from trader joe's. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment