Thursday, December 1, 2011

Small change

As I swam back and forth in the pool this Arvo, my mind was engrossed with all the motivations for change. What is change? What motivates it? How do people find the motivation to continue on a new chosen path? What is a life changing event?

For some time now, I've been consumed with the notion that life changing events are drastically smaller than most people think. If I call some small little thing, "life-changing," people giggle, get uncomfortable, think I'm being overly dramatic. But really, when do true changes occure? Where is the trailhead? If all my life I have been on a chosen path, for me this was being negligent of my health, and I remain on that path, I will eventually end up at the destination of poor health. Because consequences follow actions. Period. One day I wake up and see where I am heading. I have to make a choice: stay on that path or change. But change is hard. Change takes work. Life is comfortable. But the seed is sewn, that thought exists, and an intelligent mind will keep working out how to change. The change is already underway.

Tiny changes begin to happen: choosing the broth soup over the cream soup, salad instead of fries, walking up the stairs rather than the elevator, go for a run just because it feels good to move. The mind gets happy with these changes, endorphins begin to arise and clean out the cobwebs of sadness and loneliness. The world gets brighter. There is time to think and sort and figure things out. Life looks better and better. Suddenly, I wonder how on earth I ever lived without sweating everyday?

It started with a salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment