Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Nike training

The slight crescent of moon hung low and was soon enveloped by the incoming marine layer as we raced up the hill next to our home. It was a tough run, the kind that makes my mouth taste of blood as my lungs stretch to accommodate more oxygen. It felt great to sweat. We were dripping wet by the time we got home. It was only about a mile and a half total, but we ran hard.

Nike Training Club is narrated by a female voice that guides the workout and tells you to, "Grab your equipment." Invariably, JE grabs his equipment, often putting his weights down to grab his crotch.

This morning, I went to visit a friend in Fullerton. We shopped at the farmer's market and played with her boys after school. The past month has been full of good friends, several of whom I hadn't seen in years. It's been a huge blessing to be surrounded by these positive people. People who bring so much light into my life and still love me when I get dark. But I don't feel so dark these days. I feel strong and ready for whatever is ahead.

Tonight I hosted dinner and craft night for my neighbor's two girls, ages seven and five. We made pizza. Later we made pipe cleaner and sparkly bead tiaras. It was so fun. JE made up new names for them: Creat-Lin and Addi-mazing. We also spent a lot of time designing "food." Things like grapefruit flavored cats, throw up pancakes, macaroni and pickles, and ham flavored pajamas. All the things that would never fly at a dinner table where parents are involved. This is who we get to be.

And I learned a super easy pizza dough recipe:

Pizza dough

4oz unbleached flour
1/2 ts sugar
1/2 ts yeast
1/4 ts salt
Whisk ingredients together and add
1/3 cup water
Mix until coarsely mixed. Add two ts olive oil to a two cup container with a lid. Roll dough in oil and let rest on counter for half an hour. Refrigerate 1-24 hours, removing from the fridge one hour before using. Pat out into 12 inch pizza pan a with oiled fingers. Cover and let rest 35 minutes. Preheat oven and pizza stone to 475 F. Bake crust for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and add toppings. Bake another 5-7 minutes. Serve sliced and hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment