Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Endurance

This evening, as the sun was setting, I jumped in the pool, determined to swim my mile. It wasn't easy. Johne had just come home from work, and I really just wanted to hang out and chat with him. But the pool also beckoned. There is a price to pay for anything desirable, and that mile is my price tag for fitness and sanity. So I swam, pausing every once in a while at the end of the lane to chat with JE who treaded water near the wall. He was my distance buoy; as the sun set, the lights in the pool failed to come on and the wall became invisible.

With this latest chapter of my life, I've come to respect and appreciate this amazingly kind man who adores me, more than ever.

Yesterday, all day I had been looking forward to my run. But I didn't get out fast enough, and the weather turned hot. I waited until JE came home. We ran together, joking and laughing. We made up games about certain areas being sprint zones, or super skid zones like in video games. My time wasn't so great, my legs felt leaden. Probably all the salt from the potato chips the previous day...

Okay, mostly I was kidding about the potato chip curing my faintness. In reality, it was probably because I had finally begun to eat again and my body really missed food and salt, in particular. (I had started a secret blog for family and friends that tracked the past few months. If you are interested, shoot me your email address; but be warned, it got grizzly at the end.)

I am still limiting my sugar, avoiding sweets and added sugar to foods. Sweet is kind of yucky to me, now. And I don't like chocolate, I never thought I would ever have that problem. I am a freak.

No comments:

Post a Comment