Wednesday, November 28, 2012

CSA

My space between articles is growing, not intentionally. I've been super busy with work, training, being a sassy wife, a good student, and taking care of people I love, etc...

Another part of my life, which I recognize as a huge blessing, is making meals from my CSA basket--though I recently learned that the company I use isn't a true CSA--I don't own part of the farm. The farmer has his farm buddies contribute to the basket and the combined effort is my basket. This is fine with me, I still get fresh, organic, tasty local food! Some of which requires research to know How on earth to cook it!


Today's basket included:

3 radicchio,
6 Spanish radishes (they look like the devil's beets),
1 dozen fuyu persimmons,
1 large green leaf lettuce,
1 bunch Spinach,
2 bunches fine parsley,
1 bunch Cilantro,
1 bunch Tuscan kale,
1 butternut squash,
6 russet potatoes,
1 dozen pears,
And a few peppers.

We also add on 1 dozen pasture raised eggs

It's a whole lot of food, particularly fruit. Lately, I've been making pear butter and have been sending it to my family with birthday packages.
I believe I've purchased radicchio, perhaps twice in my entire life... What does a girl do with three heads the size as small cabbages? There are some recipes on the Internet I'm going to try and in an effort to organize a meal plan, I've posted them on my pintrest board (Irispapyrus is my call sign, and the board is called CSA Meal planning... In case you were wondering).

This evening I am making the Butternut Squash, Kale and Almond Salad. The diference will be that I am serving it hot, over brown rice with a poached egg.



I also made a large salad with the lettuce, spinach, pomegranate, persimmons, walnuts, sheep milk feta, and a basic vinegarette.


My run schedule corresponds with the Runkeeper app's marathon training. This morning I ran 5 miles--my quick two were 9:54 minute miles. I'm speeding up...

No comments:

Post a Comment